If you know my husband then you know he loves to play basketball and most of the time he plays at the church early in the morning or late at night in pick up games. While I don't normally mind this activity it has at times caused some "pain" in our household. I never could understand how he could get up at 4:45am to be on time to play early morning ball at 5:00 am but then have a hard time getting up so we could be on time to our 9:00 am college classes. Then their have been the times when basketball schedules and my plans would overlap and one of us had to sacrifice personal time so the kids wouldn't be left to fend for themselves. All in all not to big of a deal. But this past week the biggest "pain" has come from those late night games. Cris came down with the ball heard a loud pop and fell to the ground only to realize his Achilles had ruptured. So on this Thurs exactly two years from the last basketball required surgery (broken orbital bone under the eye/repair deviated septum in the nose) he will be going under the knife again and then a fun recovery to follow. The timing of it all is rather inconvenient as we again have to push back our trip to Phoenix one week and he will be on crutches for 6 weeks. In the last week of him being on crutches and hopping around I have come to realize how much I depend on him. Having said all of this, I do love church basketball for one big reason. I probably wouldn't have met Cris as that is how he met the missionaries. He found out some guys played ball at this church on Mondays. He studied, learned, gained a testimony, served a mission, went to Ricks College met a girl from Burley and the rest is history.
I politely explained if he really wanted to watch football all day on Saturdays and not mow the lawn and do honeydo's he didn't have to go to such extremes.
Monday, September 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







9 comments:
Ouch! And ouch again! I think your depiction of the whole basketball obsession is saintly. You are amazing.
Don't we LOVE church basketball!! I won't even go watch Bart play!!! Some good has come from it, like when Bart broke his nose, he got it fixed and it made his allergies much better!! Sounds like you are making the BEST of it!!!
I feel sorry for Cris, but Travis has his own run in with church ball. One year he got a technical foul for argueing with the ref and had to see a member of the Stake Presidency before he could play again. CRAZY!
So is there still a lawn to mow in ID? No snow, yet. Just kidding.
OMG. that looks terrible! That sounds like how Julia and Julianne play church ball. One of these days one of them are going to get hurt....................oh ya, they both did. :) Gotta love CHURCH sports!
Wait, Julia and Julianne play like that???!!??? Hmmmm! And, both of us got hurt?? Last time I looked, I am the one wearing the ankle brace! Anyway, Jen that looks horrible. Poor Cris! Also, I have been meaning to tell you that Christian LOVES the letter Alex sent him. He hung it on his wall next to his bed.
Poor Chris. I to have a love hate relationship with church ball. Joe broke his foot the first week of June, was on crutches for 8 weeks, brace for about 11, and it still is yet to completely heel! That looks really sore. Good luck Thursday! We also can't we to see you in Phoenix!
Ugh. It makes me hurt just thinking about it. When Erick told me I just cringed. I hope that he has a quick and full recovery.
Ouch!! I hope he feels better soon!!
I understand the love/hate thing and our husbands and basketball. Jim keeps thinking he is ready to go back after his hip surgery. We'll see....Tell Cris speedy recovery!
Post a Comment