margin:0; color:#333333; font:x-small Georgia Serif; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; text-align: center; } a:link { color:#15222b; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#15222b; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#701b51; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ #header-wrapper { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #6f3c1b; } #header-inner { background-position: center; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; } #header { margin: 5px; border: 1px solid #6f3c1b; text-align: center; color:#6f3c1b; } #header h1 { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:15px 20px .25em; line-height:1.2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; font: normal normal 200% Georgia, Serif; } #header a { color:#6f3c1b; text-decoration:none; } #header a:hover { color:#6f3c1b; } #header .description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 15px; max-width:700px; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; line-height: 1.4em; font: normal normal 78% 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Arial, Verdana, Sans-serif; color: #999999; } #header img { margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; } /* Outer-Wrapper ----------------------------------------------- */ #outer-wrapper { width: 660px; margin:0 auto; padding:10px; text-align:left; font: normal normal 100% Georgia, Serif; } #main-wrapper { width: 410px; float: left; word-wrap: break-word; /* fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE */ overflow: hidden; /* fix for long non-text content breaking IE sidebar float */ } #sidebar-wrapper { width: 220px; float: right; word-wrap: break-word; /* fix for long text breaking sidebar float in IE */ overflow: hidden; /* fix for long non-text content breaking IE sidebar float */ } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:normal normal 78% 'Trebuchet MS',Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; line-height: 1.4em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#15222b; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ h2.date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #6f3c1b; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .post h3 { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#701b51; } .post h3 a, .post h3 a:visited, .post h3 strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#701b51; font-weight:normal; } .post h3 strong, .post h3 a:hover { color:#333333; } .post-body { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } .post-body blockquote { line-height:1.3em; } .post-footer { margin: .75em 0; color:#15222b; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; font: normal normal 78% 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Arial, Verdana, Sans-serif; line-height: 1.4em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #6f3c1b; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.4em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color: #15222b; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block .comment-author { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block .comment-body { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block .comment-footer { margin:-.25em 0 2em; line-height: 1.4em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } #blog-pager-newer-link { float: left; } #blog-pager-older-link { float: right; } #blog-pager { text-align: center; } .feed-links { clear: both; line-height: 2.5em; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ .sidebar { color: #15222b; line-height: 1.5em; } .sidebar ul { list-style:none; margin:0 0 0; padding:0 0 0; } .sidebar li { margin:0; padding-top:0; padding-right:0; padding-bottom:.25em; padding-left:15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } .sidebar .widget, .main .widget { border-bottom:1px dotted #6f3c1b; margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; } .main .Blog { border-bottom-width: 0; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ .profile-img { float: left; margin-top: 0; margin-right: 5px; margin-bottom: 5px; margin-left: 0; padding: 4px; border: 1px solid #6f3c1b; } .profile-data { margin:0; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; font: normal normal 78% 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Arial, Verdana, Sans-serif; color: #15222b; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.6em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-textblock { margin: 0.5em 0; line-height: 1.6em; } .profile-link { font: normal normal 78% 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Arial, Verdana, Sans-serif; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: .1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; padding-top:15px; line-height: 1.6em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; text-align: center; } -->

Thursday, July 23, 2009

HBday ZMacR

 

 

 

photos at Bear Lake

 



One of Zach's favorite things to do is to crawl in bed with me in the morning. We chat about various things and often he asks about when he was born. The story goes something like this.

I was really nervous about having another baby. Not that I didn't enjoy being a mom to Alex, but the first few months were a bit rough. Recovering, trying to nurse a baby, figuring about the whole baby thing and a very fussy baby at that. There are a few things I would rather skip. I was relying on the fact that most things are easier the second time. But, I also had an active three year old. I was scared. (I don't tell Zach this part of the story but it sets the stage for my first moment with Zach.)

Wed. July 23, 2003. I wanted to spend one final special afternoon with just Alex. A c-section was scheduled for Thursday, July 24 at 1:30. We ordered pizza and ate our lunch and cookies on a blanket in front of the TV and watched a movie. About half way through the movie, I was not feeling to good. So I drank more water, laid on my side and waited for the contractions to go away. They didn't. I was beginning to think Zach had his own timetable. Couple hours later called Cris out of a meeting. Told him it was time. Sent Alex to the neighbors. Finished packing my bag. The realization that I was having a baby began to set in.

Got the the hospital and sure enough I was in labor. Took two doses of tributaline to stop contractions because I wanted my doctor to deliver on Thurs. That was the plan and I am a planner. And I had eaten in the last few hours. You don't eat before surgery. Medicine did not work, but makes you really uncomfortable and your heart wants to jump out of your chest. Called the on call doc but he was delivering at the other hospital. Got prepped for surgery and waited. Finally, around 9:25pm we were ready to get this kicking child out.

Nerves set in again and I realized how much I hate the surgery part. Big needle in back. Freezing cold room. Numb from chest down. Laying on a small, metal table fairly exposed to all in the room. Arms strapped down with various tubes and monitors. And a husband wearing a shower cap looking thing who nervously rubs my forehead with more pressure than necessary. Better be worth it.

Minutes later, the baby is out and I catch a glimpse of him before that take him to the side to weigh, check vitals and clean him. I get my insides put back together. I hear his weight. 7 lbs 3 oz. Much smaller than your big brother was. Heard he was cute. Then they brought him to me. He was very cute. Perfectly shaped. Not smooshed, when you come from straight from the tummy and very alert.

(this is mine and Zach's fav part) I spoke to him and introduced myself. He looked sweetly at me and put his hand up on my lips as if to say. I already know you and I love you and I promise I will make it all worth it. It was just what I needed to calm my fears of having a second baby. He knew it and I needed it. He went away with dad and I was left to ponder the moment. Then as the doctor finished, he showed me the umbilical chord and the tight knot that was in the chord. It was unusual and surprising that with the knot came a healthy baby boy. I knew I had someone special.

The last six years have been special and it has been fun to watch Zach grow. He was a perfect baby and even though he has his stubborn moments I wouldn't have him any other way. He was born in AZ during the hottest month and is a boy who loves the sun. During the colder months in Idaho, he will ask on a daily basis when we can move back to AZ. His favorite attire is basketball shorts/swimsuit, t-shirt and flip flops. Today, the Sun God has shown on Zach. It is HOT for Boise with a high expected of 104 today. Perfect for his outdoor water party.

He is super excited for first grade and join his big brother all day at school. He has a current love for all things military, riding his bike, swimming, and loves to hit plastic golf balls in the back yard with his new clubs. He and Syd have really bonded over the past few months and can be found playing various imagination games. She is going to miss him when school starts. We LOVE you Zachary McKay Richardson and hope you have a great day.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

brit said...

that was so sweet to read. don't ya love c-sections? much easier the other way.

*JULIA* said...

that makes me miss Zach even with all his stubborness. I remember having to pick him up from preschool when he really wanted you to do it and having to carry his kicking body into my car and buckle him up for the 30 second ride to his house.
Happy Birthday Zach!

Julianne said...

What a sweet story. Happy Birthday Zach! You are a special boy with a special Mommy (and Daddy too)!

Ginny said...

fun to get the story. and it's a good one. i actually just had a friend lose a baby during pregnancy due to two of those "unusual" knots so my stomach jumped a bit as i read that part! yay for zach!